Saturday, January 7, 2012

Taking Down the Tree

This year I'm having a difficult time taking down the tree. The end of 2011 was full of tension and anxiety everywhere we turned. No escape. Then came Christmas. Aside from the true and traditional meaning of the holidays, whatever faith tradition one follows, the very act of lighting up and coloring our lives greatly expands and announces global feelings of possiblity and joyfulness and willingness, even in the midst of outrageous consumerism.  It's one time of year when there seems to be a consensus to connect with others in a positive way.  A boyant energy returns.  The colored decorations and smell of pine enhance that sense of Divine connection and grand potential for me, keeping it in my face (and ears) - 24/7.   This, I like. 

Here in my livingroom I create a new world each year at Christmas, one that is filled with wildlife, birds, angels and the memorabilia of a joyous childhood.  I bring out my little blue ice skates with the grey faux fur trim and suddenly I see my smiling mom and dad handing me the brightly colored package that held them and all of the good and painful memories of attempting to be a skater on our local pond in the woods come rushing back.

Now I wonder, why do most of us put all of this away?  Ok, I admit the inspiration would be diminished if these items stayed out all year long.  Part of the thrill is having the opportunity to reconnect to that energy, those memories and be bolstered to create new memories each year.  Like the new year replaces the old, I know this clean slate holds possibility for something totally new and after all is put away - that blank slate is just staring at me with an exclamation point, as if to say, " WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW"? 

And so, as I dismantle my pine, brown bear, twinkle lights and santa covered mantlepiece I ponder about what speaks gently and clearly to me of the people, passions and things that matter most in my life.  What will trigger those good thoughts and keep me going at my spiritual & creative practices when life makes another attempt to derail me?  I know my surroundings could be zen clear and I would still hold those joys and loves within me, yet there is the option to add a visual zest to my life and keep it here year round.   This year, I choose the zest.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment